Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
I think we can all agree that 2020 has been one hell of a year. I can say that I am incredibly grateful for the lessons and hardships this year has brought as it has helped me grow as a person and really appreciate the little moments and things we normally take for granted. With that being said, we are finally at the best part, well at least in my opinion: The Holidays.
Serving Memories backbone encourages loved ones to spend quality time together making memories around the kitchen table. And what better time than Thanksgiving to start.
We wanted to create a Limited Edition Dry Rub for Thanksgiving that is simple yet packed with flavor. This incredibly mouthwatering dry rub is made to use on not only the turkey but to add to stuffing, casseroles, or your favorite side dish this holiday season giving every dish that special holiday flavor.
RECIPEPreparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 3.5 hours
- Thawed Turkey 12-16 lbs.
- Serving Memories Turkey Dry Rub 3 oz (available to purchase on Servingmemories.com)
- 1 stick of unsalted butter softened (optional)
- 2 lemons cut in half (optional)
- 2 sweet onion cut in half peeled (optional)
DAY BEFORE COOKING THE TURKEY
- 1 Day before, wash the inside and out of the turkey with water, drain well and pat dry with paper towels to ensure the turkey is completely dry
- On a roasting rack in the roasting pan, put turkey in refrigerator overnight uncovered
DAY OF COOKING THE TURKEY
- 1 hour before cooking the turkey, take out thawed turkey and unsalted butter to bring to room temperature
- Pre heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit with oven rack in the lowest position
- Once butter is softened, in small bowl combine 1 Tablespoon of dry rub to softened butter and set aside
PREPARING THE TURKEY
*Note: If omitting butter you can brush turkey with cooking oil and coat oiled turkey with dry rub
- Carefully loosen the skin on the breast side of the turkey by sliding fingers under skin and separating the skin from the turkey, making sure you don't tear the skin
- Use 1-1 1/2 Tablespoons of dry rub to coat bottom of turkey, place turkey breast side up on non stick roasting rack in roasting pan
- Add 1/2 Tablespoon of dry rub to the inside of the turkey making sure it’s evenly spread out
- Take seasoned butter mixture and evenly rub under the skin of the turkey
- Take 2-3 Tablespoons depending on the size of the bird and coat the outside of the turkey with dry rub
- Stuff the cavity of the turkey with lemons and onion
- Using kitchen twine, securely tie turkey legs together so they overlap
- Loosely cover the pan with foil
- In preheated oven add turkey and bake for 2.5 hours
- Remove foil, add 1 cup of water to bottom of roasting pan and increase heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, cook for an additional 30-45 minutes or until the turkey is 165 degrees internal temperature (if you don't have a thermometer cut into breast of turkey, if juices are clear turkey is cooked, if juices are not clear bake turkey until juices are clear)
- Remove turkey from oven and let sit for 30-45 minutes before carving
- Eat this damn good turkey with your loved ones and create lasting memories
- If you have extra dry rub, we suggest adding it to your stuffing or side dish for extra flavor. Or save it to use on any meals you will make in the future!